Alcohol Poisoning-Drug Overdose

What Is Alcohol Poisoning?

Alcohol Poisoning occurs when someone has consumed more alcohol than their body can safely metabolize. Warning Signs Include:

  • Won't wake up
  • Vomiting while passed out
  • Slow/Irregular breathing
  • Pale skin
  • Extreme Confusion

What is a Drug Overdose?

A Drug Overdose occurs when a person takes more than the medically recommended amount of a drug for their particular body. Each person has a different body type and mental health, so drugs may interact differently for each person. Warning Signs Include.

  • Won’t Wake Up
    • If the person is unresponsive, try nudging them or gently pinching their arm. Whether using stimulants or depressants, if someone passes out and will not wake up, it is a warning sign for drug overdose. JUST CALL 9-1-1.
  • Abnormal Temperature
    • Stimulants increase temperature. If the person’s skin feels very warm to the touch or they are sweating profusely in otherwise normal conditions, it is a warning sign for drug overdose. JUST CALL 9-1-1.
    • Depressants (alcohol) decrease temperature.
      If the person’s skin feels cool to the touch in otherwise normal conditions, it is a warning sign for drug overdose. JUST CALL 9-1-1.
  • Abnormal Breathing
    • Stimulants (cocaine, Aderall) speed up breathing.
      If the person is breathing faster than usual or they seem to be short of breath, it is a warning sign for drug overdose. JUST CALL 9-1-1.
    • Depressants slow down breathing.
      Less than 13 breaths per minute or more than 8 seconds between breaths is considered slow breathing and is a warning sign for drug overdose. JUST CALL 9-1-1.
  • Pale Skin Color
    • Stimulants make skin flushed.
      Flushed or reddish skin is a warning sign for a drug overdose. JUST CALL 9-1-1.
    • Depressants make skin pale.                                                                                             If the person’s skin looks paler than usual, they have bluish lips or sweaty/cool skin, it is a warning sign for drug overdose. JUST CALL 9-1-1.
  • Abnormal Pulse
    • Stimulants increase pulse.
      A person overdosing on a stimulant may report a racing heart or chest pains. These are warning signs for drug overdose. JUST CALL 9-1-1. Depressants decrease pulse.
    • Place the tips of your index and second fingers on their lower neck, on either side of their wind- pipe. Count the beats for 10 seconds and multiply this number by 6. If lower than 60, it is a warning sign for drug overdose. JUST CALL 9-1-1.